Carriage Factory History
The museum of the Mayville Historical Society occupies what once was the home and workplace of John Hollenstein and family.
Hollenstein came to the Mayville area in 1873, where they worked a small farm. Hollenstein started making wagons and carriages with blacksmith William Albrecht in a building on North Main Street.
Hollenstein set up his own wagon and carriage business, erecting a factory east of his home. He operated his shop until 1908, and then sold it to his son, John Hollenstein Jr., who continued the business until 1941.
Anton Jagow purchased the factory building in 1945. He made and repaired farm wagons, built wooden truck bodies, wooden folding chairs and other items. Algot Streed bought the building in 1953 and ran a tool and die operation there until 1967. Then James Gilboy purchased the facility but never occupied it. Ted and Grace Bachhuber donated funds in 1972 to enable the Mayville Historical Society to buy the building.
The Carriage Factory consists of the main factory building on the corner of Bridge and German Streets plus two additions to the north of the building.