The museum of the Mayville Historical Society
occupies what once was the home and workplace of
John Hollenstein and family. Hollenstein came to
the Mayville area in 1873, where they worked a
small farm. Hollenstein started making
wagons and carriages with blacksmith William
Albrecht in a building on North Main Street.
Hollenstein set up his own wagon and carriage business, erecting a factory east of his home. He operated his shop until 1908, and then sold it to
his son, John Hollenstein Jr., who continued the business until 1941.
Anton Jagow purchased the factory building in
1945. He made and repaired farm wagons, built
wooden truck bodies, wooden folding chairs and other items. Algot Streed bought the building in 1953 and ran the tool and die operation there until 1967. Then James Gilboy purchased the facility but never occupied it. Ted and
Grace Bachhuber donated funds to enable the Mayville Historical Society to
buy the building.
The Carriage Factory consists of the main factory building on the corner of Bridge and German Streets plus two additions to the north of the building.
The two additions were originally
for a blacksmith shop and power
plant. The museum displays several
wagons, carriages and sleighs made
in the factory; in addition to these,
we have an old bank interior
(Knowles), military displays, a
mounted eagle that Harley Davidson photographed for some of their advertising, printing press equipment, a dentist's office, and a lot of Mayville marked items from yesteryear. We also have many pictures and maps showing the early history of Mayville.